Fashion - Beauty - Lifestyle

Friday 5 June 2015

Anything Can Happen Friday | Let's Talk | The Sunburn Of 2014


This is something which I spoke about briefly in a video and a blog post but, haven't gone into full detail about. I was hesitant to write this as I didn't have any pictures, so I couldn't show you how bad it was and even if I did, I'd be a tad scared that I was maybe over reacting.

So, last year, around July time, for work we attended a 2 day festival in Truro, in which we didn't think it was going to be sunny for, we prepared for rain and when we got there it was absolutely boiling! As a pale person, who doesn't really go outside, it didn't occur to me that I might need sunscreen, the only thought I had was the hope that I'd get a tan but, this wasn't the case. Day 1, wasn't so bad I was quite covered up but, by the end of the day it was obvious that I had caught the sun. Day 2, it got worse! I wore sandals on that day and my feet were soo burnt, I couldn't feel them. The sun was shining on the right side of my face and by the end of the day, I was practically squinting from my right eye, I couldn't fully open it and it looked like I had Botox on the right side of my face, it was so painful. By the end of day 2, I was literally delirious and at one point my boss thought I had sunstroke, I just thought I needed to get in a bath full of ice! My arms were absouloutly covered and by day 3, in which I was working back at the shop I couldn't lift my arms up as, it felt like they were constantly on fire every time I moved. I tried to conceal the redness but anything I used, it wouldn't look any better so, I went make-up free for a few days and just tried to hide the redness with my hair. For about 3-4 days after my skin constantly felt like it was on fire and my whole body ached. I just thought that it would go away with in a week and I kept thinking 'It won't be like this next week, the redness will be gone new week'... It wasn't!

Whenever I wasn't in work, I was usually sat at home wrapped in a damp towel as it was the only thing that eased the pain. I was then told by a work colleague that Aloe Vera was meant to be good for after sun and to be honest, it felt like no help! Yes, it cooled me down a bit but, it did nothing for my sunburn and in a way I think it irritated it more. I went online trying to find a cure or a cover up, I honestly felt trapped in my own skin. My skin would usually be so clear and normal and from time to time I'd get the occasional blackheads but apart from that I had lovely skin (if I say so myself). This sunburn seriously dented my confidence and made me feel so self conscious. Then it started peeling!

The one thing everyone warned me about, happened! It was mostly on the right side of my face and my nose was the worst! I tried to cover it with as much make-up as possible but, it would always make my skin look so dry and disgusting. Whenever I went to work or go out in public I would always turn away if I thought someone was going to stare at it. I felt disgusting and ugly. I didn't feel too bad about it in work as everyone knew how much it had affected me but, whenever someone would say 'Poor Megan, I feel for you about that sunburn', I would always turn away and say 'Don't look at me, I'm hideous and disfigured'. I said that not really knowing what I meant or the effect that those words would have on people that can't help but, have a disfigurement in one way or another. It was a temporary sunburn not, permanent disfigurement. Two-three months later, the sunburn on my face was pretty much gone, however my skin has not felt the same since. It's constantly dry, no matter how many moisturisers I've used and certain skin products can affect the scaring on my nose from the sunburn and this is like 1 year later. It's not overly noticeable but, I can still see it!

I will NEVER take my skin out in the sun again without sunscreen! I thought this was an important message to get out there as, we swiftly approach summer, so to anyone that reads this, take care of your skin in the sun! If it's a tan you want you can get sunscreen that has a tan activating in and those with thin short hair you can also, get treatment and sunscreen for your scalp, which I never knew you could get! There are so many products out there for protecting your skin in the summer, so I urge you to use them!!

Prepare to Bare
 
 
I hate to plug but, it is so important currently in Superdrug we have some AMAZING deals on sunscreen, after sun and sprays, so I encourage you to check out our offers --> http://www.superdrug.com/brandshop/holidayshop
 
I thought I'd start a hashtag to get this message out there and to join the conversation tweet #TakeCareSummerSkin - I hope to see you guys getting involved.
 
 
Lots of Love, Hugs and Kisses,
 

Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© We Are The Lost Wolves | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig