Fashion - Beauty - Lifestyle

Tuesday 5 June 2018

Happy Pride Month 🏳️‍🌈

June marks the start of pride month and I thought I'd take this opportunity to talk a little bit about what pride means to me and the misconceptions around pride festivals.


After years of struggling with my sexuality and being afraid to put a label on how I identify. Last year I became more accepting and proud to identify as being Bisexual. Up until that point I refused to put myself into a category because a part of me was scared about what other people would think. I was scared people would call me greedy and have misconceptions about bisexuality. I've had conversations with people who have just assumed that I'm attracted to everyone, when that's not the reality. For example if I walk into a bar I'm not going to find everyone in that bar attractive it's just a feeling I get and it's who I fall for and whether their male or female that doesn't really matter to me, as long as I feel happy. At the end of the day love is love why should anyone's opinions stand in the way of that?



One of the major misconceptions I find with pride, is that people will call it 'Gay Pride'.. it's not just gay people that go to pride! It's LGBTQIA+ Pride if you wanted a full title, and that stands for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, questioning, intersex, ally and plus, which is everyone queer in between. I'm guessing you'll be able to see my frustration when someone will assume and call it 'Gay Pride' instead of just Pride. I feel very passionate that the language we use when addressing this community is vital and it shows the decency that you've been educated and understand parts of this community.. it's just having manners in my opinion!


Another misconception about pride is that 'straight' people take advantage of pride and uses it as a mini festival and a chance to party. I understand were people are coming from with this point and it can be seen as rude and disrespectful especially when pride is almost like a protest to be visible to the world and share and celebrate who they are. I can understand that 'straight' people rocking up just for a chance to party could be seen as a little out of line. On the other hand by them showing up it shows that they're our allays for this community and that they support us. It's an on going debate that I've heard a lot about in the LGBT community and I'd love to know your thoughts about that in the comments.


Overall, pride to me is a celebration of every single person who is apart of this community. To every single person who is brave enough to come out, even though it may not fit the expectations that society puts on us. Pride is a chance to celebrate how far the LGBT movement has come and a chance to re evaluate just how far we still have to go.


Happy Pride Month Everyone 🏳️‍🌈 I hope to see many of you out and about at pride! This year I'll be going to Bristol, Brighton, Plymouth and Cornwall pride, can't wait to see all of you!

 
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© We Are The Lost Wolves | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig